Some Assembly Required


This project comes from an animated short I made when I was moving away from XSI and trying to learn Maya. The short was less than amazing, but I did learn a fair bit about Maya, so it helped in its own way

Now that I have a few years under my belt when it comes to Maya I wanted to reattempt the idea. I don't have as much down time as I used to, so redoing the short as a whole seemed a little too time consuming for my liking. 

I re-purposed the idea as a little vignette, a small scale diorama of the larger animation. It allows me more time to indulge the sides of 3D design that I really enjoy, modeling and rigging. So without further delay, enjoy some assembly required! 
 

As you can see my little robot friend here is in the process of updating themselves. From a nice new arm upgrade to a complete software upgrade via their handy computer.

The design of the robot went through some iterations as I couldn't get the level of details right. First it would be too many, then not enough. I have a hard time finding a nice balance. Thankfully though I think I managed a fine level in the scene.

Added some minor details inside both arms, (Despite only being able to see the one) Wanted to give the robot a since of having internal components and not just being an empty shell

Added some minor details inside both arms, (Despite only being able to see the one) Wanted to give the robot a since of having internal components and not just being an empty shell

Added a hose like body for better movement when bending from the hips

Added a hose like body for better movement when bending from the hips

Added multiple hatches in my robot to give them a better since of completeness. I felt hiding hatches in their arms and head provided a better look and feel that the robot was complete, but still had access to themselves in case updates were required

Added multiple hatches in my robot to give them a better since of completeness. I felt hiding hatches in their arms and head provided a better look and feel that the robot was complete, but still had access to themselves in case updates were required

Lastly you can see that out robot friend is nearly done their updated. The cable running from the computer to the robot's head was particularly tricky to get the feel and look of. However I am rather pleased with how it turned out.

Lastly you can see that out robot friend is nearly done their updated. The cable running from the computer to the robot's head was particularly tricky to get the feel and look of. However I am rather pleased with how it turned out.

Robot Assembled.png